1. Sherman Bailey is almost 94! Hooray!
2. He’s the best conversationalist in the world and says surprising things all the time.
3. Like today I was at the Dr.’s office with him and the Dr. told him that he couldn’t do much for his postnasal drip, so Dad said, “I guess you could say I am up _____ creek without a paddle!” and I told the Dr. he better put that in Dad’s chart.
4. Later he was telling me about his Mother, and remembering that he loved the brown bread, clam chowder, penuche fudge, and divinity that she made. She died when he was 12 years old, so those memories are very tender for him.
5. He also told me about the time he was with his Grandfather, driving a Model A car over some railroad tracks a little too fast. He was 16 years old.
6. The car bounced up wildly and he looked over at his Grandfather and his Grandfather’s hat was down around his ears.
7. My Dad said that was the first time he ever heard his Grandfather swear!
8. My Dad and I went to lunch today at a local gourmet grocery store. He analyzed the clam chowder sample for a curious customer.
9. Ever since I was a very little girl, as long as I can remember, being with my Dad has been one of the best honors and pleasures of my life!
10. I love you, Sherman Bailey — I hope you make it to 100 as long as you are still having fun!